We fight for the rights of motorcyclists
The motorcycle accident attorneys at Gervelis Law Firm have represented many motorcyclists who have been hurt in accidents throughout Ohio and western Pennsylvania. So we know that despite what insurance companies might think, most motorcyclists are safe and responsible when on the road.
But it only takes one act of negligence by another driver to cause a motorcycle accident. So it pays to take extra steps to stay safe. Some simple steps motorcyclists can take include:
- Using protective gear – In Ohio, experienced motorcyclists age 18 and over are not required to wear a helmet. Neither are experienced Pennsylvania motorcyclists age 21 and over. But we advise all motorcyclists to wear one to help prevent head injury if there’s a crash. All motorcyclists are required to wear eye protection. Full-fingered leather gloves, motorcycle boots with good ankle support, and leather or denim clothing can also provide some protection.
- Keeping your motorcycle maintained – Be sure to follow all manufacturer recommendations for maintenance, such as changing the oil. Monitor tire pressure, check fluid levels and check chain tension regularly.
- Being mindful of blind spots – Drivers have a responsibility to look out for motorcyclists, but it’s best to assume that a driver in a nearby car can’t see you.
- Taking a motorcycle safety course – Even if you are already an experienced rider, an advanced class can help you build on existing skills. The states of Ohio and Pennsylvania offer safety courses for riders of different skill levels.
- Being extra careful at intersections – Drivers of cars often treat motorcyclists as a nuisance and may fail to yield the right of way. Be prepared to stop.
- Adjusting to road conditions – Slow down and be extra cautious when roads are wet, it’s windy or there is road construction.
If you are involved in an accident with a negligent driver, we will fight for your rights to help you recover the compensation you deserve. Drivers may deny responsibility and insurance companies may try to blame you for the accident. Our attorneys investigate the crash to get the real story. We know where to look for evidence that proves a driver’s negligence caused your crash.
Learn more about how we can help you after a motorcycle accident. Call us at (866) 439-2238 or contact us online to schedule a free case evaluation. One of our attorneys can review your case, explain your legal options and answer any questions you have.